Connect with us

Sports

Tennis Player Djokovic Reaches first quarter-final of 2018 in Rome

Published

on

Novak Djokovic moved into his first quarter-final of 2018 on Thursday when he defeated Spain’s Albert Ramos-Vinolas 6-1, 7-5 at the Italian Open.

The four-time Rome champion is making his way back this year after a six-month injury absence before the Australian Open, which was followed by elbow surgery.

Read Also: Cristiano Ronaldo wants Real to Pay his £26.45m fine

And the 30-year-old showed some of his old forms as he got past Ramos-Vinolas to set up a rematch with Japan’s Kei Nishikori for a semi-final berth.

The 11th-seeded Serb, who has reached eight of the last ten finals in Rome, beat Nishikori in the first round in Madrid last week before falling in the second to Britain’s Kyle Edmund.

Read Also: Antoine Griezmann Sets His Eyes on European Glory Against Marseille

Nishikori, ranked 24, needed just over an hour to see off Germany’s Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-1, 6-2 at the Foro Italico.

Former world number one Djokovic has slipped six places to 18th after his second-round defeat in Madrid, his lowest ranking since October 2006.

Source: The Punch

Do you love what you've just read? Kindly share and follow us on TwitterFollow us
Please follow and like us:
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Celebrity gist

Liverpool and Roma Have Been charged over crowd disturbances

Published

on

By

UEFA have charged both Liverpool and Roma over crowd disturbances at their Champions League semi-final at Anfield in April, European football’s disciplinary committee revealed on Tuesday.

Liverpool won the first leg 5-2 in a fiery atmosphere but were charged by UEFA on two further counts after fans set off flares and threw projectiles.

A 53-year-old Liverpool supporter, Sean Cox, was attacked by Roman hooligans outside Anfield before the first leg, leaving him hospitalised in a coma where he remains in a serious condition.

Two Roma supporters were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and club legend Francesco Totti appealed for “fair play, hospitality and respect for our opponents” ahead of the return leg which passed off smoothly.

Roma won the second leg 4-2 but Liverpool qualified 7-6 on aggregate for the final in Kiev against Real Madrid on Saturday.

Do you love what you've just read? Kindly share and follow us on TwitterFollow us
Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Sports

Xavi signs for Two More Years Contract in Qatar

Published

on

By

Xavi Hernandez could play on until the age of 40 after it was announced on Thursday he has signed a two-year extension to his contract with Qatari club Al Sadd.

The legendary former Barcelona and Spain midfielder will stay with the Doha-based club until the end of the 2020 season, according to a statement released by Al Sadd on social media.

“I am happy to keep on being a part of the Al-Sadd family for two more years,” said Xavi.

Xavi Hernandez could play on until the age of 40 after it was announced on Thursday he has signed a two-year extension to his contract with Qatari club Al Sadd.

The legendary former Barcelona and Spain midfielder will stay with the Doha-based club until the end of the 2020 season, according to a statement released by Al Sadd on social media.

“I am happy to keep on being a part of the Al-Sadd family for two more years,” said Xavi.

“I am delighted to be at the club and with its fans.

“Everyone here is one big family and I am satisfied and thrilled to continue.”

Read Also: New Paris Saint-German coach Tuchel relishes working with ‘artist’ Neymar

Xavi joined Al Sadd in 2015, originally on a two-year contract, after making more than 700 appearances for the Catalan giants.

He extended that by 12 months but the 38-year-old was widely expected to retire at the end of the Qatari domestic season.

However, he said earlier this month he would continue playing play until the end of this year at least and has now changed his mind again.

Since being in the Gulf he has been named as a global ambassador for the 2022 World Cup, which will be hosted by Qatar, and has been widely tipped to coach the host side during the tournament.

World Cup winner Xavi won 133 caps for Spain and was also in a Barcelona side which took eight La Liga titles.

The announcement comes on the same day as former Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta officially announced he was moving to play in Japan’s J-League.

Source: The Punch

Do you love what you've just read? Kindly share and follow us on TwitterFollow us
Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Sports

Gary Cahill Wants clarity over Antonio Conte’s Chelsea future

Published

on

By

Chelsea captain Gary Cahill has called for “the uncertainty to be put to bed” over the future of Antonio Conte, with the Italian widely expected to be on his way out of the club.

The Blues beat Manchester United 1-0 in the FA Cup final on Saturday as Conte won his second trophy in English football after capturing the Premier League title in his first campaign.

Former Italy and Juventus manager have been embroiled in a turbulent campaign marred by his feud with the club’s hierarchy over their failure to back his transfer plans.

Read Also: New Paris Saint-German coach Tuchel relishes working with ‘artist’ Neymar

Conte is also said to have infuriated several Chelsea stars with his intense personality and regimented training sessions.

Cahill believes a decision must be made one way or the other so Chelsea, whose fifth-place finish in the Premier League means they miss out on Champions League football next season, can prepare for the new campaign.

Asked what it would take for the Blues to move on and make the necessary close-season preparations, Cahill said: “Probably for the uncertainty to be put to bed and for whatever’s going to happen to happen.

“It’s out of our hands. We have to try to deliver on the pitch. We fell short in some aspects this season but (on Saturday) we produced. The rest behind the scenes is not down to us.”

Conte signed an improved contract last summer, but not an extension, to his three-year deal that expires in June 2019.

And after winning the FA Cup the Italian said he “can’t change” and is a “serial winner”, effectively calling for the club, owned by Roman Abramovich, to back him or sack him.

“All I can say is it’s been a great finish,” said Cahill. “If the manager stays on next year, he stays on.

“If he doesn’t, he’s gone away with a Premier League and FA Cup. I think that’s something everyone at the club can be proud of. We really had to win this game to save the season.”

Source: The Punch

Do you love what you've just read? Kindly share and follow us on TwitterFollow us
Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Contact us

Send a mail to admin@jayreporters.com.ng

Latest post

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Jayreporters.com.ng

Please kindly follow Jayreporters on our social media platform Below